Open University of Cyprus (OUC) is a public university, and the country’s only university devoted entirely to open and distance education and lifelong learning. It offers multi-disciplinary, career-oriented and accredited undergraduate and postgraduate (Master & PhD) programmes in both “classical” and “cutting-edge” scientific areas. OUC aims to offer knowledge and skills of high academic standards, and provide every student with a first-class, inspiring learning experience based on its flexible educational methodology, supported by the very latest technology applications and a variety of eLearning tools.
OUC’s philosophy is simple: there is no “one size fits all” approach to higher education. Open University of Cyprus places students at the heart of education, and responds to their diverse needs, allowing them to study in their own time, place and pace, breaking down the rigid barriers of traditional education. Specifically, OUC a) provides cutting-edge knowledge and employment-ready skills of high calibre, b) stimulates personalized, active learning, supported by quality teaching from highly experienced and trained academic staff, and c) leads students to become specialists in their chosen field, regardless of their age, time availability, residence or life circumstances, and fulfil their personal or professional aspirations.
With approximately 4,000 students enrolled in the 2019-2020 academic year, 25 programmes of study and about 6,600 alumni since 2006 (enrolment of its first students), Open University of Cyprus is developing into a leading institution in promoting open and distance education. As a research institution, OUC boasts a significant number of research units and centers, which operate within the university with national and European funding.
OUC Programmes focus in the following areas:
- cultural policy & development, Hellenic culture, theatre studies·
- communications & new journalism·
- educational sciences, adult education & lifelong learning·
- literature & linguistics·
- healthcare management, policy & administration, health informatics·
- business administration, economics, banking & finance, risk management·
- environmental studies, energy systems·
- information & communication technologies, social information systems, artificial intelligence, telecommunications·
- European law, police studies.
The following five (5) Masters are offered in English:
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Cognitive Systems (jointly degree with University of Cyprus)
- Enterprise Risk Management (jointly degree with Hellenic Open University)
- Sustainable Energy Systems (joint degree with Frederick University)
- Adult Education for Social Change (Erasmus Mundus International Master)
For the upcoming academic year, OUC is planning to offer five (5) new postgraduate programmes, which currently are under evaluation for accreditation by the Cyprus Agency of Quality Assurance and Accreditation in Higher Education.
In addition to programmes of study, OUC, aiming to promote lifelong learning and vocational training, offers distance learning training programmes of short duration and lifelong learning Thematic Units, designed to meet participants educational and/or professional needs.
Distance education differs from conventional classroom-based education, mainly because it allows students to complete their studies without physically attending to scheduled lectures. OUC students are only required to attend in person the University’s examination centres in Cyprus and Greece or –under certain conditions– in third countries, to undertake their final written exams.
Εmail: [email protected]
Tel: +357 22411600 / 711